Sunday, November 8, 2009

To Know Or Not To Know

Is it better to know how long we have or not to know how long we have? I was wondering this as I was playing with Abby tonight - making faces and jousting with her to get her riled up. She was pouncing on things and barking like crazy. So, would I rather know that she's fine and we have "plenty of time" to play and walk and talk and joust - or would I prefer to know that we had little time and that I should make her my top priority? Conversely, would it be best to not know either and be faced with living in the moment. The question is moot, of course, because we don't get to choose whether we know or not - but moot questions can still be interesting questions...

The question applies to much more than Abby, of course. Would I prefer to know that my car is going to need $700 of repairs, or not know? Would I prefer to know that I'm going to be working at my dream job next year, or not know? Would you prefer to know about upcoming illnesses, or financial windfalls, or not know?

I know that I do not know...if I would want to know or not know...

No comments:

Post a Comment