Monday, October 5, 2009

Faith

One of my favorite quotes is "Jump and the net will appear." Easier said than done. I had absolute faith that the weather would be fine for our clambake on Saturday night. I had no doubt. "Heavy Cloud No Rain", a song by Sting played several times yesterday afternoon even though the CD player was set to random/repeat. Coincidence? I think not... So why is it so hard to have faith in more "important" situations? Why can I have complete confidence in something as unpredictable as the weather and sometimes not trust my own intuition in other areas?

"Jump and the net will appear.", Abby just jumps... Which reminds me of an Abby story from years ago. We were in the Squire Valley View woods down by the ravine and I couldn't find Abby. I called and called and called and...nothing. No sound of her collar, no rustling in the woods, nothing. Sam was nearby and totally unconcerned, but I was beginning to get nervous. The park is over 700 acres and there's plenty of wildlife - where was she??? Then I heard her coming toward me and then I saw her. She was returning to me at a dead run (good girl) - only she was on the far side of the ravine from me. She came barrelling through the woods and down a slope toward the creek, but what I could see that she could not, was that the slope ended in a six foot dropoff down to the creek. I started yelling, "No, no, no, Abby, no, no, stop!!", but she kept coming and then as she was sliding down the slope, she saw the dropoff, but she couldn't stop. I saw her go off the end of the slope and start falling and then I closed my eyes. I knew that it wasn't going to be good - one broken leg at least, probably. No sound, I opened my eyes and she was up and running through the creek towards me. Unscathed. Perfectly fine. Happy, and panting, and loving life.

"Jump and the net will appear." - Abby does...

No comments:

Post a Comment