Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Today

Abby was admitted to the hospital this afternoon so that they can stabilize her digestive tract. Her WBC was low, X-ray did not show any obvious blockage. They're going to give her fluids, antibiotics, anti-emetics for vomiting, some anti-inflammatories, etc. by IV and re-Xray tonight and tomorrow morning to see if things are moving. I'll get a call in the am. Good news is that the Internal Medicine doctor is taking her over while she's hospitalized b/c we are parting ways with our oncologist. The IM doctor is the one who was really AWESOME when Sam was in the hospital in Feb. 2007. The oncologist has not been handling my questions appropriately and it seems that he is not comfortable with me asking questions - he was fine in the beginning but whenever there is a little complication or divergence from the "normal" he seems to get stressed. He was very agitated today and closed the door to the consulting room and was actually almost yelling at me. That's not going to fly. He was feeling that I was questioning him and his radiologist - I was asking questions, yes, but that's my job. I tried to explain, but he was no longer rational. What kind of a doctor raises his voice to a client who hasn't slept in two nights, whose dog is in distress and has a second type of cancer in three months and then blames the client! So, he decided that he would prefer to refer me to another oncologist - funny, I had already called another clinic with an oncologist on staff this morning! Looks like we agree on one thing at least!

The irony here is that just last night or this morning (I can't remember) I was talking to my angels and I was asking for guidance. I said, "I guess that I'm not listening well enough, b/c I don't know what to do. Can you be more clear?".

Boy, did they ever clarify that situation! So anyway, that's where we are after a marathon 3 hour vet visit. We need to get through the next couple of days before we consider any more chemo. If we decide that the digestion issues are chemo related (they could be unrelated or cancer related) - I don't know if we'll do any more treatments. It's been crippling all of us these last few days. If we don't do chemo - we'll see what other alternative options exist for us.

All spare good wishes and thoughts, prayers, Reiki energy, bells and whistles are welcome.

What a day... I'm going to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment